25/6/13

The Payette River Games en Idaho

La primera edición de los Payette River Games se celebró este pas ado fin de semana a orillas del North Fork of the Payette en Cascade, Idaho. Cascade es un pequeño pueblo del oeste de Idaho con un parque de aguas bravas, el Kelly's WW Park construido por Mark y Kristina Pickard en honor a Kelly Brennan. El parque a orillas del North Fork es verde y muy cuidado, con varios rulos y olas además de otras instalaciones para deportes varios. 


The first edition of the Payette River Games took place this last weekend on the banks of the North Fork of the Payette river in Cascade, Idaho. Cascade is a pretty little town in western Idaho, home of the Kelly's White Water Park, a beautiful riverside park along the shores of the NF of the Payette with a few freestyle features. The park was built by Mark and Kristina Pickard to celebrate the life of Kelly Brennan.


El evento se centraba en el kayak (freestyle +sprint/cross) y SUP, además de volleyball, competi de cortar troncos, golf, disc golf, basket, petanca, escalada, competi de perros… de todo!

After some years working on it the park looks beautiful and green and makes this quiet stretch of river a lot more enjoyable. The top feature is world class, with a green right shoulder that allows for almost every wave trick and a nice and deep foam pile on surfer's left where you can throw every hole move, combos and everything! Pretty good playspot, with big eddies, warm water and the nice park all around. 


The event featured kayak (freestyle + sprint/cross) and SUP as the main sports, however there was also volleyball, lumberjack, climbing, horseshoe, petanque, golf, disc golf, basketball, dog competitions… almost everything!

Las prelims de freestyle empezaron el viernes en el top feature. Muy buen rulo ola en el que todos los trucos eran posibles (si los sabes hacer claro!). Estando enfermo toda la semana anterior al evento no tuve oportunidad de entrenar en el rulo aparte de un par de mangas el jueves por la tarde… aun así conseguí hacer una buena manga que me permitió pasar a semis en 9a posición. No me lo esperaba ya que no remaba nada de rodeo desde el año pasado y aun estaba bastante enfermo y débil.


Freestyle prelims started Friday and took all day long! I had been sick the whole week before the event so wasn't able to train at all. I did a couple rides on Thursday evening and hoped for the best. I had one good ride on Friday and that put me into semis in 9th place, I was pretty surprised as I was still feeling weak and sick and that was the first time I was doing any freestyle since last year… 


El sábado se presentaba largo y cansado con el sprint, boaterX y las semis dels freestyle. El sprint consistía en una milla y media de agua plana hasta Kelly's, unos 11 minutos a tope, muy cansado. Por suerte conseguí el mejore tiempo en el sprint  Después hicimos el boaterX en el que gané las dos primeras mangas pero en la última me lo pusieron difícil entre los otros tres y al fina quedé fuera… Finalmente las semis de freestyle en las que hice una buena primera manga pero tan solo aprovechando 30 de los 60 segundos así que finalmente acabé 8º. A gusto con le resultado ya que esta era casi mi primera vez remando freestyle este año y no había podido entrenar nada en el spot. 

Saturday was time for the Sprint, Boater X and Freestyle semis, a busy long day! We did a 1.5 mile sprint from northern Cascade to the WW Park, about 11 minutes of pure flat water, it was pretty exhausting! Luckily I managed to win this one and went on with the BoaterX. I managed to win my first two heats as well, but on my third and final heat I got smashed against some rocks and couldn't catch up… it's boaterX. Freestyle semis went ok with a couple bad rides I jumped into 8th, but anyway that wasn't my focus… still pleased with the result for my first freestyle sessions of the year.


El domingo era el turno de la final del sprint. Otra milla y media a fondo y de nuevo conseguí la primera posición que me permitió ganar el overall del sprint/cross! Super contento por el resultado ya que esta última semana ha sido muy dura, bastante enfermo con mucho frío y viviendo en la van… no tenía claro si podría competir y sabía que no estaría al 100% así que muy satisfecho con el resultado!


Sunday started with some nice weather and the final sprint. I was pretty nervous as I knew I had to win to stand a chance on the podium after my bad result on the boaterX. Luckily I had a good run and managed to win again what made me the overall champion for the Sprint/Cross! I was pretty stoked on this as I had been sick and didn't even know if I would be able to compete at the event and never felt 100%. 

Shot out a todo el mundo por venir y disfrutar de estos tres días repletos de todo! Gracias a todos los voluntarios y organizadores y por último muchas gracias a Mark por construir Kelly's y organizar este gran festival para el kayak, muy buen evento! Gracias!


Congrats to everyone for three days filled of action and thanks to all the volunteers and amazing organizers for putting this thing together! Finally amazing thanks to Mark for building the Kelly's WW park and putting the biggest purse out there for us kayakers! Awesome event!

Felicidades a Ali por su 5º puesto en la general de sprint/cross compitiendo con kayakistas profesionales! Ali fue segunda en le sprint, una bestia!!

Pics by Claire O'hara, Alícia Casas, Adriene Levneck and Phillip Robert.

No hay comentarios: